Energy Performance Rating  EPC

 GEM provides EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) for domestic and commercial buildings.

If you are buying or selling a home you now need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) by law.

The EPC needs to be available to potential buyers as soon as you start to market your property for sale or rent.


If you already own your home, the process of getting an EPC produced can help you identify ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home. As EPCs are valid for ten years, you will then have an accurate EPC ready if you decide to sell or rent within this period (unless you improve your home subsequently, in which case you may wish to get a fresh EPC done to include those

To produce the certificate a qualified and accredited Energy Assessor will first carry out a survey of the property. For domestic property this takes approximately 30 minutes and looks at things such as insulation levels and the heating system. This information is then input into RdSAP software to produce the SAP rating and corresponding certificate. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions would be if energy saving recommendations were put in place.

The energy survey needed to produce an EPC is performed by an assessor who visits the property, examines key items such as loft insulation, domestic boiler, hot water tank, radiators, windows for double glazing, and so on. He or she then inputs the observations into a software program which performs the calculation of energy efficiency. The program gives a single number for the rating of energy efficiency, and a recommended value of the potential for improvement. There are similar figures for environmental impact. A table of estimated energy bills per annum (and the potential for improvement) is also presented, but without any reference to householder bills.